We use the Internet to get information online and extract much information every day, so today we will know what a web browser is. Hardly anyone knows what the Internet is, who has a smartphone, that he surfs the Internet or browses every day to find any information. In this way, we are able to connect with the world and apart from this, we do many things. Whether it is filling the form for any competitive examination or applying for a job. But do you know that if we do not know what medium we use to connect to the internet, then by reading this you will understand fully how the web browser works? What is its specialty and how many types are there.
In addition, we will also give you a list of commonly used web browsers. The Internet does not run only by being connected to the Internet but requires software that is capable of connecting to the Internet. You will see many such apps in mobile which only work by connecting to the internet, such as WhatsApp, YouTube app, but you tell me if you can open a website in these apps? So the answer will be no, for this we need a browser. So let’s now know what this web browser is and also know what its definition is.
What is web browser
A Web Browser is a software program or application that we use to search websites, access them, and read and benefit from content within those websites. Just like Excel is a spreadsheet program and uses Word to create documents, just as a web browser is a program that uses the Internet.
We should never discuss this, just click on an icon on your mobile or computer and start using the internet and it works like that. This is the same thing that puts the key in the bike and starts driving the bike, do not even try to know how much CC the engine of this bike is and what are its features. A browser is a group of several structured codes that carry out a series of tasks simultaneously, so that information appears in our display.
Definition of Web Browser
A web browser is a software program that allows the user to search, access, and view web pages. In general, a web browser is abbreviated as a browser. It is used to view and access websites on the Internet. In addition, content that is written using HTML (hypertext markup language) and XML (extensible markup language).
How web browser works
A browser is a software program that transmits content to the World Wide Web by searching web pages, images, videos, and other files to the user. Talking about the client/server model, in this, the browser acts like a client that runs on a computer that sends a request to the web server to get information. The web server sends information to the web browser and the result is displayed on the computer. In addition, this work is also supported on all those devices.
Web browser component
User Interface: The user interface inside the browser is where the user is able to interact with it. It includes an address bar, home button, refreshes button, stops button, back, and next button, etc. Also, other than the part window where the requested web page is displayed, it belongs to it.
Browser Engine: As the name itself suggests, the rendering engine is responsible for rendering web pages on the browser screen. The engine renders HTML, XML, documents, and images, which are formatted by CSS and which appear on the generated layout user interface. But even using the plugin, you can change the layout as you wish. Different browsers have different rendering engines.
Google Chrome: Wink
Internet Explorer: Trishul
Chrome iPhone and Safari: WebKit
Mozilla Firefox: Gecko
Rendering Engine: It acts as a bridge between the user interface and the rendering engine. Whatever input is made through the user interface also interrogates and manipulates the rendering engine.
Networking: Components that receive URLs using the common Internet protocols of HTTP and FTP. Networking handles all matters of Internet communication and security. The network component also uses a cache of retrieved documents to minimize network traffic.
Data storage: It is a kind of solid layer. The browser supports storage mechanisms such as local storage, IndexDDB, WebSC, and file systems. It is a storage location in the local drive of the computer where the browser is installed. It manages user data such as cache, cookies, bookmarks, and preferences.
UserInterface backend: The user backend comes in handy for creating basic user widget boxes. Work can be done quickly and easily using the widget as per your convenience.
Difference between web browser and web server
Often people have a dilemma between what a web browser is and what a Web Server is. They consider both to be the same but both are completely different from each other. Now we are going to tell the same difference.
A software program that acts as an interface between a server and a client, while a web server is a program or computer that accepts a client’s data.
The browser sends the HTTP request and receives the HTTP response while the web server receives the HTTP request and sends the HTTP response.
The web browser has no processing model, whereas the processing model in the web server is process based, thread based, and hybrid based.
Web browser features
Every web browser is different from each other and wants to give a great experience to its user. But there are some features without which the user experience can be bad rather than good. So here we will learn about all the specific features that are required in a web browser.
- A web browser must be adept at accessing web pages on the Internet and must be able to search and display all types of websites.
- On the web, you should be able to follow the hyperlink, you should also be allowed to type the URL to follow it.
- Commands should be easy to access such that they should be available in the form of menus, icons, and buttons.
- Options should be readily available to get help online.
- When you use the World Wide Web and visit many websites, we like them very much and are of our use. We allow them to return to these sites to easily access those sites again. One is that by going backward in the streams and the other way is by bookmarking these sites, it can be easily returned again. Using bookmarks, you can keep the world web page listed. Using this list, you can easily visit a favorite website stored at any time.
- One of its main features is that in addition to providing information on the current page, you can also search for this other information on the World Wide Web.
- In this, you can print any information on any web page and send the document via email to another website.
- It should be strict in handling text, images links as well as digital video.
- Also, a good browser should be able to play animated content.
- There should be separate plugins so that the option is enabled as per requirement and can complete its work.
- It should also have the facility to enable the cache so that the web page is easy to load and the load on the server is also reduced.
History of web browser
- The World Wide Web was the world’s first web browser, created in 1990. The company that produced it was W3 C, full name World Wide Web Consortium, and its director was Tim Berners Lee. In the World Wide Web, the Internet was not stored so the name was changed to Nexus. The situation was not as it is today as it was the only browser through which the Internet ran.
- After that, another internet surfing software was created named Lynx and was based on the text that did not have a graphic content display.
- To reverse this feat, a new surfer mosaic was created in 1993, supporting the image. In this way, Mosaic became the most popular browser in the world at that time.
- In 1995, Microsoft launched a browser in the market that we know today as Internet Explorer. It was the first Internet surfing program created by Microsoft, which is still used by people today.
- Subsequently, Opera began a research project in 1994 and was then made available for use by people over the next 2 years. In a way, this was the beginning of the browser war when new Internet surfing software was continuously introduced in the market and the main competition at that time was between Internet Explorer 3 and Navigator 3 with Microsoft Internet Explorer due to completely new features. was coming.
- Instead of using Navigator, Apple launched the Safari browser for Macintosh computers.
- Just after that Mozilla made Firefox available to the market.
- Apple started its mobile phone mobile safari and thus it remained in possession of ios.
- Subsequently, Google Chrome was first introduced by Google in 2008. Today you are well aware of what is the secret in the market and which people like the most.
- In order to further improve mobile web surfing for the people, Opera Mini was introduced in the market in 2011 and also became very popular among the people.
- In 2015, Microsoft launched Microsoft Edge to give a tough competition to Google.
Type of web browser
List of main web browsers currently used
- Internet explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla firefox
- UC Browser
- Microsoft edge
- Opera Mini (Mobile)
How did you like this post What is Web Browser? Through this post, we have also told you what is the definition of a web browser and how many types it has, as well as you have also known what is its history. Although there are many types of web browsers available in the market today that make our work easy but have you ever tried to know how these things work.
We also discussed here what is the difference between a web browser and a web server. Every day we use it to do many things, without it we cannot go to any website. In today’s time, a list of some of the most used browsers is given. I hope you liked it and if you really find this post useful, then share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram more and more.